Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Zen Kinda Day



Today was one of those days I wish I could capture in a jar and save. It started with a very enlightening conversation about life paths. I often think that life is like a maze where we must find the best path to the end. Along there way there are a million places where we can get stuck, lost, or turned around but we should strive to find that ideal path. I had never thought of it as a book where we select our own ending. This comparison really shifted my perspective. Rather than a predetermined path, we make choices every day that come with positives and negatives, These choices define our path but one is not necessarily better than another. I found this rather comforting and freeing. You don't have to search for the perfect path because there isn't one. Funny how you don't realize where your thinking is sometimes stuck on a faulty notion.

During my lunch break I was able to sit in on my first Zen meditation session. After my stimulating morning, this was a wonderfully relaxing experience. For someone like myself who can't stand being quiet, it was amazing to just sit silently in a room with 6 other people and simply "be". Five minutes passed by like a minute. My brain started thinking about all the work waiting for me on my desk, and I immediately pushed the thought away. All my stress dissolved. I just sat there quietly breathing. Between short meditations we talked about Buddhist thought and religion. I can't wait to see where this goes next week. I am grateful I stumbled upon these sessions and am able to attend.

And then came the farmers market! I had been waiting all month for this particular market because one of my favorite craft vendors was going to be there. Earlier in the year I won a $30 gift certificate to her booth and couldn't wait to use it. I don't think I left an item unturned at her booth, carefully deciding how to spend my certificate and then some. When it came time to check out, I was informed I should pick out another item for my bag. And there was no charge for any of my items. What a delightful surprise!

I feel truly blessed for these sometimes simple and sometimes unexpected gifts. I forget that every day is filled with them if I just remember to look. Namaste.

No comments: