Friday, May 23, 2008

seeing other people

I sit next to you in your blue Topaz
as we drive out past the airport
to a place where you say the airplanes
slide up into the sky over head
leaving the runway behind.

Sitting on the hood we wait, surrounded
by the stars and the trees and
a light wind that tickles my arms.
Instead of the planes that you promised
we watch an unlit field.

Around 3am rain spots the windshield
and I wonder why we haven’t gone home
but you kiss me again, your hand on my thigh.
I cannot stop the thoughts of Jonathan
asleep alone, waiting naively for me.

I won’t say it’s guilt I feel, but
an odd loneliness growing between you and I,
I can taste boredom in our kisses.
You ask me what is wrong and I lie.
I say it is the rain and I am tired.

You drive me home in silence.
I try to forget this night happened.
All I want is to lie next to Jonathan
and pretend he is still mine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is all too descriptive of something, not necessarily physical in that it's happened, but in that it's been in our minds-well mine anyway. I think I've been on the hood waiting for that which was promised to me, but never finding it, or experiencing it only to go home, tired and rain soaked, thinking this won't always be this way, or....thinking of what I would like to do, or need to do................